Friday, December 3, 2010

Inspired By...The Challenge of Color

Our Paint Chip Colors

I have been reading Erin's blog for about a year now and I loved the challenges she had.  I know she took a break for awhile and this is her first one - The Challenge of Color.  I so wanted to participate in this challenge but mom and I were going to be swamped during the month of November and I knew that we wouldn't be able to do this challenge justice and I emailed Erin that.  Erin emailed me back and said she mailed us a paint chip and just try to participate if we had the time. 

So, I waited anxiously for the paint chip to arrive, and when it did I started to laugh.  That paint chip was the same colors we were using for another challenge.  We decided to use the same piece because I couldn't pass this up - the piece was perfect.  I think Erin was somehow channeling my thoughts, scary and I apologize Erin for any stray thoughts you may have picked up from me.  Mom and I don't usually work in this color scheme, but that is what these challenges are for, to challenge you to try something new and different.










When mom and I make a piece we don't usually make sketches or lay anything out, we just jump in and cross our fingers that the piece will turn out the way we envision it.  I wanted to make beads that had some of the elements from the paint chip colors and colors for the other challenge we were working on.  For one set of beads I used an ivory base color with frit on top and for the other set of beads I used a dark transparent amber with the same frit color on top.

Our beads with chain from Missficklemedia
I have been drooling over findings from Missficklemedia for months and I finally found a piece worthy of her patina chain.  The paint chip colors were the influence for the color chain I wanted to use.  Shannon's chain is awesome and I highly recommend it!

Now for the focal piece of the necklace I do have to say that idea was from the other challenge that we participated in.  The pendant colors are from that challenge piece but I think the colors go so well with this Color Challenge.

Yes, it is our piece from the Art Bead Scene November Challenge but this piece fit so well with the paint chip that Erin was kind enough to send us.  Mom and I love how everything just came together with this necklace.  How all the colors work together from the tree of life pendant, to our lampwork glass beads to Shannon's patina chain.  And that is it - our "Tree of Life" necklace.  Mom and I are always happy when a piece turns out the way we do envision it and coming out the first time around, not having to tear it apart and re-doing it several times.

I hoped you enjoyed our piece for the Color Challenge.  Please take the time to see the other participants of this challenge:
 Oh yeah...mom and I will be having a giveaway in the next two weeks because our two blogiversary will be this month.  We thought we would share some goodies with you all in celebration.  So keep your eyes out for that.  Have an awesome Friday and have fun on the blog hop!

28 comments:

  1. When I saw you were involved with this color challenge, I thought to myself, "Perfect for Beth ... she's a glass artist, an enamelist ... and now a patina addict ... if she can't come up with some inspired pieces ... nobody can!" The great thing about you, Beth, is that you personally made 90% of the necklace ... which is what I like to do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the ABS win. I'm with Barbara, I think it's so cool and inspiring you made most of the components yourself. Great step out pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH OH OH Girl that is an unbelievably gorgeous fantastilishous stunning piece of art! To wear that has to make your heart glow! Congrats on the ABS win but I am never in doubt when it comes to a team like yours! Ok gotta clean the keyboard now as the drool is EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your story of how it all came together for you and your mom in the creation of your gorgeous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Love your interpretation of the card! Your three elements go so nicely together, nicely chosen! I've been kind of fixated on these colors myself, but haven't made anything with them yet. I recently took a trip to eastern Montana and this is what color it is in the winter--tawny dry grass, white snow, and black trees. That focal is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff! I love your the way your piece just flows altogether. I agree - the focal IS amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't use sketches, either! I like to wing it, mostly because by the time it would have taken me to draw it out, I could have made the piece in my head.

    Love the way your challenge piece came out (that focal is amazing)! And bonus that you got to use it twice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your creations are always so cool. I love that pendant and it looks so nice with the beads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew immediately you were talking about the Art Bead Scene challenge! What a great focal!!! Beautiful piece - it works perfectly for both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! I saw this necklace on ABS and love it! What a really great fit for both themes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your focal is stunning! I loved your necklace when I saw it at ABS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if I was channeling the right colors or not, but I am so glad that I did! I love getting a twofer! The fact that you made most of this yourself is so very special. And then using that chain from Miss Fickle makes it even more gorgeous, rich, earthy. Nicely done! Thanks for playing Beth & Evie!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! Nice use of that color palette. I'm going to have to head over to Shannon's shop for some of that chain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the coors in that piece! I love Shannon's chain, I just got a bunch of patina's from her I'm dying to try, waiting on the heat proof cloth! Great job on the finished piece I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh that's gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Splendid necklace and how wonderful those colors worked in it! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw your necklace on ABS, and thought it was a cool interpretation of that challenge. But it also works perfectly for this one as well - a happy accident! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderfully inspired necklace! Congrats on the ABS Challenge success!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - I'm in awe of your beads! Great interpretation of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved that piece when I saw it on ABS and I love it even more now. Here's to those of us who got to "kill two birds" with our challenges this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a beautiful necklace! This time of year, I don't blame you one bit for combining the two challenges -- that's called efficiency! I love the curves in the tree of life pendant. They make me think of flames, and the colors of the chain echo that thought. And I keep picturing the burning bush in a winter landscape. Go figure! Maybe it's because we've finally gotten a break from the heat down here in Mickey-ville. Beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I saw your colors and beads, I wondered right away if you would use some of Miss Fickle's chain, and you did!! It all looks fabulous together, earthy and elegant, too! Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that both challenges came together in one piece. The pendant is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. You made mom and my day! I hope you had as much fun blog hopping as I did and seeing all the wonderful pieces everyone created. That was so much fun. Erin you did a fabulous job with the challenge and I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's good to feel like someone's reading your mind sometimes, right? Great colors for you! I drooled over your pendant when I saw it on the ABS...still lovin' it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...